NORC IT Project Manager in Bethesda, Maryland
IT Project Manager
Job no: 495837Work type: Regular Full-TimeLocation: Bethesda, MDCapability Area: Project Management
NORC at the University of Chicago is seeking an experienced IT Project Manager to manage the planning, implementation, and production support for NORC systems projects.
The PM will ensure that project results contribute business value and meet agreed upon scope, schedule and cost objectives. At NORC, project managers lead a variety of different types of projects including large-scale survey data collection and management systems implementations, new product and service launches, application development, systems integrations, internal initiatives, operational efficiency improvements, and infrastructure upgrades and deployments.
The PM manages a team of IT staff, and establishes and maintains a collaborative partnership with internal business units (research and operations staff) as well as external clients. The PM will lead elicitation, analysis and documentation tasks for process, application, and business requirements on their projects. The PM will bring creative approaches to problem solving in all assignments in order to produce quality deliverables supporting the business needs.
NORC's Information Technology department provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to delivering professional, high-quality solutions to achieve our collective goal of advancing social science research.
Development of the IT project plan, and management of its scope, schedule, resources, and budget and risk
Hands on management of IT team resources, tasks, contract obligations and deliverables
Risk identification and mitigation planning and control. Issue management including tracking, assignment and closeout of all project issues
Leads the effort in creative approaches to problem solving; confers with project personnel to provide technical advice and resolve problems. Works with departmental manager and other project stakeholders to ensure project objectives are being met
Leads or contributes to preparing solution descriptions and cost estimates for IT project change orders
Works with project stakeholders and technical teams to develop requirements documents. Define acceptance criteria for requirements.
Provides requirements support, including clarification, for development and quality assurance team members.
Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions
Works independently; receives minimal guidance. Contributes to performance reviews for team members
Uses best practices and knowledge of business issues to improve products or services and is expected to take active role in improving procedures for the IT PMO
Report regularly to IT management on the status of all assigned projects. Report project delays and changes in requirements to the Project Director and IT management on a timely basis
• At least 2 years of experience coordinating tasks for projects as a team lead, manager, or project manager. The incumbent should be knowledgeable about project management processes and principles, such as those outlined in the PMBOK
• The incumbent should have demonstrated experience in structured requirements and specifications development for custom software builds and software builds within existing application frameworks.
• Bachelor's Degree in a technical discipline or equivalent required, Computer Science preferred
• Agile experience preferred, Waterfall SDLC methodology experience a plus
• Extensive knowledge of project management processes, project financial management, systems development methods, change management concepts and business process improvement methods
• Ability to organize information and manage projects and staff to time and budget goals. Strong problem solving ability, ability to manage multiple priorities. Able to influence behavior effectively, remain calm under pressure, and exercise good judgment.
• Experience with SharePoint development projects, Salesforce implementations, and ServiceNow a plus
• PMP certification and CSM certification preferred
• Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects with shared resources
• Knowledge and skills in project management tools including Microsoft Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Strong project management skills with hands-on experience managing and deploying application development projects, portals, and other complex IT systems
• Strong planning, organizational, and leadership skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and meeting facilitation skills; ability to write and communicate complex systems descriptions and specifications for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Data analysis and knowledge of XML and relational database design. Experience writing basic SQL statements.
• Experience in user story creation. Experience with use case development preferred.
• Experience with Balsamiq for wireframes and prototyping, JIRA for task management and bug tracking, and Visio for process maps and flowcharts preferred.
• Ability to hands-on direct the work of systems development staff in a team environment
• A passion for consulting; you are capable of stretching and applying your skills in an open, entrepreneurial environment
• A flexible approach and attitude; you are not afraid to take on a challenge and be as hands-on as you are strategic
WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.
NORC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that values and actively seeks diversity in the workforce. NORC evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other legally- protected characteristics.
Advertised: September 30, 2020Eastern Daylight TimeApplications close: